Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!

Yesteday was mother's day.. Being mommy's only daughter (the other 2 are boys, or as the prefer to be called "men"), i was the one who had to remind them the day before of the fact that March 21st is (just like it's been for the past 50 years or so)Mother's day.

Ofcourse the only one who remembered and actually did something about it, is.. ofcourse.. me. :) (Not that it's a burden i truly enjoy it!)

My little brother (not so little at 20) did try to be nice, he went to my mom yesterday afternoon and asked her how old she is today (!). I guess it's the sentiment that counts.

For the first time EVER, a Saudi newspaper (Okaz) had a teeny tiny newsbox stating that today is Mother's Day, a day well-deserved by all mothers for their hard work. It also said that the celebration of Mother's Day on March 21st began in 1956 on the hands of Ali and Mustafa Ameen, the editors in chief of the Egyptian newspaper "Akhbar Al-Yom". (I didn't know that.. It's really cool!... I guess we're light-years away from the days they used to tell us at school that it was haraam to celebrate such a "western" holiday (...).

I truly believe Mothers should be celebrated. And not just your own mother. Even your friends who are mothers. Especially the ones who started out young. It amazes me how much responsibility a person takes on the second they become pregnant (Men included, but they tend to find a loop-hole around this point). How every word, action, emotion and even smile (or lack of it) will affect their child for years to come. That who they are and the way they behave with and around this baby/child/teenager/young adult will largely influence their own personality, and the way they will deal with their children later on. I find this immensely scary. It's like a 21-year long project, with very short breaks, and almost no room for mistakes. But then again, does anyone really think about all this before they conceive a child? Or is it essential to forget about all this in order to find the courage to actually go ahead with it?.. I really don't know..

No comments: