Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Family Dinner

Naaaa naa naa nee nuu.. nooooooo.. (umm.. this is supposed to be the Godfather's music.. umm… ok..)

Every few weeks, my uncle decides to have a "family dinner" at his place.. and the decision is only sprung on us - for some reason - the same day.. apparently it's more "fun" this way or something..

"we" were all waiting for my uncle.. and what a strange "we" we were.. somehow, a bunch of unrelated people show up at out family dinner (different people every single time, some we don't even know).. and apparently that's "normal"..

When my uncle came in.. he was accompanied by three men in suits.. "the guy with the orange tie", and two other.. My family are too traditional when it comes to the rituals of the "salam" (u know, the hello-ing and the kissing and stuff).. especially my uncle and my dad.. they really do look like the Dons from the Godfather, hence the theme music in the beginning of the blog (keif bss hence?! ;) )

What's really strange is that my uncle didn't introduce "the guy with the orange tie" to anyone.. which isn't like him.. even during dinner, when I asked my uncle's wife, she had no idea who he was..

but apparently, It's perfectly normal to have him at the family dinner..

when we were having our after-dinner tea, my uncle announced that "the guy with the orange tie" wanted to read us a piece of "nathr" he wrote about the woman he loved (yes, I have an "interesting" family who talks about things like that during family gatherings).. and he still did not mention his name!!.. "the guy with the orange tie" said that he's been a political writer for the past 25 years, and from his accent I could figure out he was Syrian, but still.. he didn't mention his name.. At this point, I started to get really frustrated, because I really want to know who he is!! and then, the magic happened.. he started reading his thing, and it was soooo beautiful, it's not a common thing to hear someone wrote about his loved one in Arabic..( Oh, what I would do for someone to write something like that about me.. ). it was so amazing, that everyone clapped and cheered at the end.. it really was something out of this world..

now, if I had known his name, wouldn't it be so much better to express my fascination with him and his writing, rather than calling him "the guy with the orange tie"??!

2 comments:

Mystique said...

You didn't ask who he was later on!!!!

DiDi said...

NO ONE KNEW (except my uncle)..

and you're kidding that i would ask him.. :|