I’m sitting here at 5 am trying to undo all the tangles in my hair, and trying to make it less spray-stiffened.. and trying to make sense of today..
And of all Saudi weddings..
I don’t get it..
Yes, I am culturally challenged..
Or is it the “culture” that is “logic-challenged”?
Let’s start with the ritual of getting ready:
most women need anywhere from 1 to 4 hours and spend a lot of money in the process, and quite a percentage on temporary “washable” stuff, i.e. hair and makeup among other things. The entire process is usually a wonderful stress initiator and is quite a precipitant for headaches and migraines..
I for one avoid most of this by doing my hair and makeup at home, and it’s been working out quite well for the past few years..
However, since today is my friend’s wedding.. I decided to try something “new”.. I will have my hair “professionally done” at a hair salon.. with and updo and all!!
I discovered a hell of a lot in the process..
Apparently, women know what they want to have done to them ahead of time, and get with them little bags filled with “things” that they’ll use when having their hair done, such as little puffy bags full of hair used as a filling (!), hair extensions that are dyed and treated the same way as the lady’s hairs, and an assortment of ribbons, hair clips, and maybe even a box of glitter.
Poor me had to think for ages about the style I wanted to have done, and since it was puffy and stuff the hairdresser asked me if I got a “filling” with me (am i supposed to walk around with one of those?), and was actually surprised when I said no.. hmm..
Anyhow, I ended up with really nice hair (ofcourse you have to be on guard to avoid any sudden surprises, such as a bright red colored braid in the middle of your elegant bombe hair)
AAAAAAh.. at last I’m done.. yay!
Part 2: the actual wedding (soon) :)
Thursday, December 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yay for being a guy .... I got confused just reading that :P
i went to a salon once.. one of the "really nice!" ones.. they had tiger makeup.. where they actually make your face look like a tiger.. & the eye-shadow goes down to your cheeks.. & they put hair extensions 2 go w/ it.. so sad..! what's worse is the lady LOVED it!! lol..
Didi getting all girly and feminine, how nice :P
The point is that u ended up with nice hair ;)
bs u need more salon exposure :P
Cant wait for part II..
I can say a lot about weddings too, I am seriously thinking of conducting special research on wedding rituals in Saudi..
dp: well, did u ever try reading about men's fashion? it's really confusing.. what's a lapel?
p!nk: it's even worse when it's some old lady!
ot: soi 'm boyish and masculine now, huh??!
bassem: true.. i'll try to go more :)
shimozi: u know, u should blog about the results of the "marriage" survey that u did a few years ago.. can't wait for ur comments on my new post!
Post a Comment