Saturday, October 07, 2006

Some thoughts from the past couple of weeks.. :)

- Sorry i haven't been able to blog for the past couple of weeks.. I have no idea why.. sure, i've been "busy studying" (u know when ur studying all day but are absolutely not productive?.. yup!)

- I officially am not cut out for "thobes" (the traditional Saudi dress, which most women wear during the entire month of Ramadan).. I don't get them.. I can never buy them, hence i don't own any for going out.. mind you, i don't think that they're ugly; i just think that they're not for me.. last year White Witch helped me pick out a simple bright-yellow thobe, and this year, I'm making a blue one at the taylor's (yes, Ramadan is almost half-over, and it's still not finished)..
i just don't get people's obsession with it.. and i don't get why they "have" to wear them. I "Warned" my family this year; i wore one, which Shimozi helped me choose (yup, I can't buy them alone either!) on the first family function we had, and i announced that they won't be seeing me again in one.. i mean, what's wrong with flowy skirts and cute tops??

- TOO MANY TV SHOWS! not that i watch any, except Tash-Ma Tash (a saudi comedy show), and Kill-Yom-Shi (Which is the Ramadan daily version of La yomall, a Lebanese comedy show that has a funny political side to it).. other than that, between the Syrians and Egyptians and Khaleejis, you have like a million TV shows which star the exact same people from last year, and i doubt that the content is much different.. thank God i don't waste my time on them

- I started going to the gym again, coz mom is doing her yearly thing and making all the Arabic sweets on earth, including all my favorites; Kunafa with cheese, znood el-sitt (literally; wrists of the lady), Kishk El-fo'ara (some sort of pudding), Killej (fried pastry filled with cream) and so much more.. so i figured that if i don't work out hard, i'll balloon up again (even though i try not to eat much, but even tasting this stuff is like 1000 cals or something..

- my knee is getting better.. i might not need an MRI after all.. yay!

- for the first time in my life, i'm NOT happy about having a vacation! It's not that i don't want to have a vacation ( i will spend most of it studying anyway).. It's just that the "sudden" realization that the students want/deserve a vacation came a bit too late i think! didn't anyone notice this from the beginning of the year?.. or is it more "fun" this way?.. what irritated me the most were the announcements all over the place that this "will not affect the educational process".. really?! how about u ask the college students who have scheduled lectures during that time, and who now have to somehow invent some time to have them in? or how about u ask the students who were supposed to have a major quiz on the last day before the vacation and now have to take an entire week early?.. add to this, my utter amusement when i realized that this extra vacation also includes all governmental facilities! (have you ever seen a place on earth where people take more than 2 weeks off for one of their holidays?) I guess the reason is that it's better off to send all these people home and save up of the water and electricity usage they cause at work, since they're just as un-productive anyway (coz it's "Ramadan"!)


- I did this test to see how much of a nerd I am.. turns out.. 40% .. who could've known??.. or it it obvious to everyone but me?!

P.S. blogspot decided to delete the last part of my post, but i re-wrote it to the best of my memory.. :) sorry if anyone got confused!

7 comments:

Bassem said...

me too! busy studying without productivity! i hate it!

lol same here with thobes.. MEN thobes that is :P not Cavalli ones!
and you're EXACTLY like my sis! she wants one and think they're pretty but she doesn't seem to be the type
flowy skirts and cute tops kick thobe asses anytime of day ;)
6ash ma 6ash 7asab almzaj and today i saw kil yom shi lol dad likes the show
and ALEMBERA^ORAH! the stupidest/funniest show ever! lol

i hate ramadan for this lol i wanna go to the gym again!

:)

I"M NOT HAPPEY either!!!! aish al5abee9 da?!! ma kan min awwal al9aif galo walla shay!! nage9na e7na reshceduling and stuff! wo one week off our rotation :S

YOU"RE A NERRRRRRRRRRRDDD LOOOOOOOOOOL 40%?!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
:P
elly beetoh min ezaz ma ye7dafesh alnas bel6ob!

-OT- said...

It took u that long to put up a post! And after all this, it's just a random update! Geeez!!! lol
Honestly, I think women look very trendy in thobes, and every year I'm seeing thobes that are more and more fashionable... I actually like it!
I'm traveling during vacation, so I am looking forward to it! nananananana :P
Inshallah u won't need an MRI for ur knee.. Hopefully time and relaxation will be enough to get it back to normal :)
U know, the desserts in Ramadan are a killer! Kunafa, 7alawet Jubn (I luv it), A6ayef Cheese (Yummy) as well as the non-Arabic sweets such as Caramel Cheesecake, Kunafa Cake, Caramel Cream Cake, Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake, Chocolate Mousse and others have been keeping me hyper and 'sugary' all day and night :| hehe... But honestly, I'm glad these sweets are being prepared cuz they just taste soooo damn yummy!!

Unknown said...

I think the idea of the thobe or the jalabeya is to make u feel more at home with what our Muslim sisters used to wear ayam el rasool 3aleeh el salam, also cause its more comfortable while praying (thats why I wear a thobe to tarawee7)

What gym r u in? I miss gym, I stopped going since Ramadan started cause my schedule got so screwed up! Glad ur knee is better!! :-)

HelloMe said...

for me, thobe is just the easy way out.. i'm not usually in the mood to mix & match in Ramdan.. so I buy 1 thobe every year & I wear it to ALL the different 3azayem.. (not same ppl of course!:p, otherwise i have to wear last year's thobe!)..

DiDi said...

Bassem: at least I'm ONLY 40 :P

-ot-: funny how ur pro sugar in one blog, and anti-sugar in the other!! and u thought i wouldn't find out :P


godfather: it's true that they're more comfortable AT HOME (i wear home-thobes everyday in Ramadan, just not the fancy ones with a million colors and chingalings and stuff).. I go to SFH.. thanks :)

P!nk: my "this year's thobe" is finally done! yaay.. i'll wear it tomorrow to a family thing.. if u inivte me over for iftar i'll wear it too :P

-OT- said...

If weight wasn't involved, I'm all for the sugar! I can live on desserts! But the reason why I try (keyword in this sentence = TRY) to be anti-sugar is because I'd ballooooon into something scary if I don't watch my levels of sugar intake!

DiDi said...

-ot-: i can't believe u'd drag arguments form one blog to another!! be anti-sugar! be anti-food if u like, ur the one missing out :P