Monday, May 29, 2006

The Paper

Since I started my finals and all (pray for me!), I thought I'd stop blogging for a while.. But you know what? I guess I'm addicted! Isn't this how you know? when you really don't have time, yet you have something to say, you go to your blog? Or is this just sad/weird?

Well..

I am pissed. That is the one word that describes what I'm feeling right now.

Why?

Because part II of my exam is tomorrow, and just today, I found out that my "college friends" have this really important paper that I know nothing about, and no one bothered to tell me about it! We were studying together, and then I had to leave. When I asked them where they were going to study subject X from, they were like, that paper. (!!)
"Which paper?"
"Oh, this one".
"where did you get that from?"
"Umm, I don't know, was it one of our classmates?.."
"since when do you have it?"
"A few months, since our last quiz"
(...) That's when i started to get annoyed
When you study with people, especially your "friends", you're supposed to share everything, right?
But the again, s*** happens, moving on...
"I would've appreciated it if you had copied it for me too, walla ma yi7taj?" (I couldn't translate that :P )
"well, you buy stuff and you don't always copy them for us!"
More silence, on my part.. fumes coming out of my ears (I have a very fiery temper)..
Do you know how annoying it is when someone says that to you, when you do the exact opposite? When you truly act in the spirit of the team and ALWAYS share everything you have or know with them?
(Just like a 50's wife: I work and I work and I work.. and this is the thanks I get??!)
"really?" <-- sarcasm is what I do to avoid starting a fight
"yeah"
"aha"
"and also, when you want to give us something, you never copy it for us. You just hand us the original and I copy it for everybody"
"don't start with that.." Now fumes are coming out of my nose, too. Now I'm pissed. Who was it that was distributing papers like a mailman every couple of mornings for the past month?
"but.."
"DON'T"
(silence)
"umm.. u can have mine if you want.."
I look at her..
"really it's ok"
"thanks"
---------------------------------------------
Comments on the story:
#1: What was that about?
It's not just the "forgetting" part that upset me.. It's the "pretending it's normal" part.. and "makin it sound like i deserve it" part.
It could be: a. habal /idiocy
b. gillat ihtimam / not caring enough
c. nadala
I'm not sure which is worse!!

#2: question: Isn't this the way it's supposed to be?.. That when you study with your friends you share everything?..
Or are there some rules written somewhere about how this should be done?

#3: Is it simply that every once in a while you should give people some attitude to get things done?
---------------------------------------------
P.S. to understand more about why i reacted this way, imagine a neat-freak, control-obsessed, hyperorganized person. Monica-esque if you may. Yup. That's me. Aha. I know it.

6 comments:

Just 'Be' It said...

I have one question: when did they receive the really important paper?
With me, I dont share anything with my friends unless they are active, not lazy, students who attend lectures and ask for something specific. Like, if Amal asks for lecture #9, then I will make her a copy. But if Amal is this girl who is absent all year I wouldn't bother.

It depends on the system you have made with your friends all these years.
But honestly, reading your blog I felt like im in high school again, because college is about independance and not dependance. So try to depend on yourself and avoid the previous situatuion all together..

DiDi said...

dear Shimozi: They had it for like 2 or 3 months.. I totally know what you mean.. But they're not lazy per se; they're just not as active as i am..
You make it sound like i'm dependant on someone else; i'm not. It's just that I'm not superman. I can't do everything. I don't expect my ""friends" to hide something.. I expect them to cover my back and let me know if i'm missing something. becaus e this is what i do for my "friends". It's either we all share everything or we only give each others things we ask for. I have no middle ground.. But isn't this just awful?.. to "hide" information from people who are you "friends"? (or from anyone for that matter) I think this is the main problem.. this attitude bothers me.

SunShine said...

Didi,
I am totally with you. I understand what you mean. Some people are just 'thoughless' and it is frustrating when you go the extra step of thoughfulness that 'friends' do. I disagree with Shimozi in saying that you should be less dependant. I do agree with her that it should be less like highschool, not saying 6ib is anything like highschool!

For own sake and sanity, if your friends are JUST DON'T LIVE UP TO YOUR STANDARD, let it go. Be as nice as convenient for YOU. But don't go the extra mile.

But girl, I hear ya..some people are just dumbcrap.

Just 'Be' It said...

Hey didi,
I really understand what you are saying. I have experienced this several of times at college. I didnt say that you are dependant..
I am saying that the whole system seemed like a dependant one. You know where a professor gives one student an "Important" paper and expects her to give it to all the other students..
I know you pretty well; you might get tired with other people's carelessness if you know what I mean. I mean you give a lot, think of others, and you are extremely organized. Good luck and I hope you do well on your finals. Its good that you kinda showed them how you felt..

Arabian Prince said...

Excuse me for not commenting on this particular post of yours, however I thought I'd let you know that I loved your blog!
Good luck with your finals! bil tawfeeq inshaAllah
Keep updating and I'll pass by again :)

DiDi said...

Sunshine and Shimozi: Thank you for understanding.. :)

Arabian Prince: thank u for ur kind words, and welcome to my blog!